Your company might have a Balanced compliance policy, which means that if your device passes all required checks, you can work with local apps. If you fail any required checks, you will work in a Hybrid (hosted) environment.
Launch Hosted Apps
You will launch hosted apps just as you would local apps:
- From your Launch Page, or
- Click Apps in the sidebar. Select the website you wish to launch and you will notice a gray cloud sitting on the logo and a message stating that the website will be accessed in the hosted environment.
- Click Launch.
The first time you launch a hosted app it takes a minute, but if you keep at least one hosted app open while you’re working, any app you launch after that will open immediately.
When the app finishes loading, it will look just like it's running on your local computer, when it's running on a secure server in the cloud.
NOTE: For Microsoft Office apps, you might be prompted to sign in with your current Office 365 account.
LocalZone™ users only: Hosted apps will not include the LocalZone™ blue border and badge because your computer doesn't actually contain the work applications or data - Citrix opens a window or portal to manipulate those programs and files located in the cloud.
Pause Hosted Apps
Since hosted apps live in the cloud, you can connect to them from any device with Workplace installed. This allows you to pick work back up exactly where you left it. You can disconnect your hosted apps when you know you are going to continue work the same day.
Just click Pause work. You can view which hosted apps are open:
- The cloud icon on the app appears dark gray
- Hover your mouse over [#] app connected
When you’re ready to get back to work, click Resume work, or click the X next to app connected to terminate the hosted session.
Sign Out and Suspend Session
When you sign out of Workplace while hosted apps are running, you will get this prompt:
- Pause all hosted applications: this is a great solution if you're just stepping away from your computer temporarily. NOTE: All apps are closed nightly after standard business hours.
- Close all hosted applications: If you shut down your apps, you'll reduce server load for your coworkers and might be off to a faster start on the next day when you launch hosted apps. Be sure to save your work before choosing to close your hosted applications. Choose this option at the end of your workday, or when you are traveling.
If you're experiencing slow hosted apps or your apps don't work right, you can shut them down. Before you do this, make sure to save your work first or you might lose the changes you made to your open documents.
Once you've saved your work, click Help on the Launch page and click Quit hosted apps. Then you can restart your apps and continue work.