Depending on your company DLP Policy, Copy and Paste might be restricted to within an app or in-between apps located in LocalZone™ only.
In VDA Essentials E:104.09 - Workplace for Android and iOS: Working with Files, you learned that you can Create, Edit, Save and Share your files within Workplace. LocalZone™ adds an extra layer of security by enforcing a DLP policy to ensure your data remains safe inside Workplace and while you work between mobile apps.
- Working with a LocalZone™ file within Workplace
- Accessing a LocalZone™ file within an Office app
- Working with a file from outside of Workplace
Working with a LocalZone™ file within Workplace
Tap a file in Workplace to Preview or Edit the file. We'll use an Office app as an example. With a file open inside the app, you can:
- Update the file. Any changes you make will update in real-time. Just tap the Back < button when you're finished with the document.
- Or, you can share the file directly from the app by tapping the Share button.
The difference with sharing a file in LocalZone™ is that when you tap the share button within the document you're working with, you are given the option to choose any of your work apps in which to share.
NOTE: If your DLP policy is set to Restricted, you will not see any apps listed that are outside of LocalZone™.
Accessing a file from within an Office app
Your normal workflow might be to open an app from your home screen and access your files from there. When you first open an Office app to use with Workplace, you will need to add Workplace to your storage options.
Adding Workplace to Your Places in Office 365
- Open any Office (Word, Excel or Powerpoint) application on your mobile device.
- Tap Open.
- Tap Add a Place.
- Select Workplace.
- Tap Allow Access.
- Repeat these steps for any other Office 365 application. If you use the Office app, then this function will automatically become enabled in all Office apps.
Let's see what this looks like. Open the Word, Excel, PowerPoint app or Office app from your home screen:
- Choose from your Recent Files, or
- Tap the Folder icon at the bottom and select Workplace_.
- Navigate to a file and tap to open. Editing, Saving, and Sharing work the same as when you open a file from within Workplace.
Working with a file from outside of Workplace
Let's say someone emails you a file that you need to edit and/or share back.
- Navigate to the attachment in your email and tap to open.
- You will be asked to open the file in the appropriate app.
- You might be asked to allow the Office app to access Workplace. Once you're in the document, you can:
- Edit the file by clicking the Pencil.
- Click the Share button at the bottom to send the file.
- Just as we mentioned above, you are given the option to choose any of your work apps in which to share. If your DLP policy is set to Restricted, you will not see any apps listed that are outside of LocalZone™.