A major feature of Workplace Files is the ability to share folders with coworkers. Our two-way folder sharing brings the senders and the recipients to one platform, Workplace for Browsers.
Sharing is secure because the data is always encrypted during transit.
Sharing folders gives each user control over their own folders and the files stored in them. The user can decide who's allowed into their folder, who should be removed, and what these collaborators can do with their files inside of that folder.
Let's see how it works!
Share a Folder with a Co-Worker
- Sign in to Workplace for Windows or macOS, then click the icon, which will take you to Workplace for Browsers.
- Click Files in the left sidebar.
- In the Folder list, hover your mouse to the right of the name and click the Sharing button.
- Type the name or names of co-workers from your organization, then click Add.
- As an owner of the folder, you can add and remove collaborators, change their permissions, upgrade them to co-owner, edit, upload, and download files, and delete the shared folder. Here are the permissions you would select for your collaborators:
- Viewer: viewing simply means previewing the document within Workplace for Browser, or downloading the file to your local drive.
- Editor: In addition to viewing and downloading files, Editing allows the collaborators to upload files to the share folder.
- Co-owner: As a co-owner, a collaborator can add and remove invitees, and modify the contents of the folder. You can do everything an owner can, except for deleting a folder, removing the owner, and adding co-owners.
- You can also include a message while sharing. Click Share folder to finish.
Remember: you haven't shared the folder until you click the Share Folder button at the bottom of the window. If you click the X in the top right of the window, that will cancel sharing.
- Workplace will send an email notification to the co-worker(s) with a link to the shared folder. Co-workers can click the folder icon in the email and they will be redirected to that folder in Workplace for Browsers.
Workplace will notify all Workplace users, via email, when the contents of the shared folder is modified by a guest user. Modifications include:
- Creating a new document
- Updating or deleting an existing document
- Renaming a document
- Moving a document to another folder
View or Edit a Shared Folder
Click the Sharing button to the right of the folder to check the status of invitations, change collaborator permissions and remove collaborators:
- Check the status of invitations, Pending or Accepted, cancel invites and remove collaborators, and get a quick overview of the collaborators in the folder and their permissions
- As an owner, you have flexibility within your shared folder. For instance, if you have a co-worker user who has Editing permission so that they can upload files to the shared folder, you can always switch them to Viewer if you've received what you need and no longer wish for them to upload files. You can, of course, remove them altogether from the shared folder once you have received their documents, or add others to the folder with Viewing, Editing or Co-owner status.
In the next module you'll learn how to share a folder with a guest user.