Whether you're using Workplace for Windows and macOS, Browsers, or Android and iOS, your data is available to you whenever you need it. The Workplace file system is an ‘on demand’ file system. That means that files not already synced with your machine will download to your computer from the cloud when you open them - and upload them back to the cloud when you save. You can continue working with local files even when you are offline. Once network access is restored, your files will sync back to your Workplace drive.
Access your Files and Folders
There are a few ways you can access your files in Workplace for Windows and macOS:
- Click the icon in Windows top open File Manager and the icon on the Mac to open Finder. Your files sync to a unique folder on your local computer called the Workplace Drive (S:). Here you’ll see your Personal folder, Company folder, Shared folders, and your Secure Downloads.
Personal: This folder is labeled with your name and cannot be shared. This is where you store any files or folders that are meant just for you, such as expense reports and presentations.
Company: This is the primary folder for your company that contains files and folders meant for all users, including internal documents and pictures from your holiday party.
Shared Folders: These folders are shared by you with co-workers and guests, or with you by your coworkers and company manager. For example, your department head might share the department folder with the team, such as Meeting Materials and Quarterly Reports. Also, you might have clients outside the firm who need to share or edit documents, and you can invite them to a shared folder.
Secure Downloads folder (Hybrid only): Files that you download within a hosted browser can be found in this folder, and not your local Downloads folder. This is meant to be a temporary repository and we recommend that you move your downloaded files to another folder as a best practice, especially if you need to share a file.
- Another way to access your files is from the Launch Page directly. You can select a file from Starred files and folders, as well as Recent Files, which are documents that have recently been viewed.
Work with your Files
- Double-click a file to download it on the fly. Your file will open in the preferred local app. When you click save, your file syncs back to the cloud.
- Click Recently Synced to view your most recent files. You can star any file here to pin it to the Launch page under Starred Files and Folders.
- Hover your mouse over a file to reveal action buttons.
- Spyglass: This takes you to the file location in local File Manager or Finder.
- Share: Click to share the file. Learn more about file sharing here.
File Syncing in Workplace for macOS
In Workplace Settings> Sync Settings you can select frequently used folders to sync in the background, or leave them unchecked and they will sync upon opening the folder. Click here for a list of file types that will not sync to the Workplace drive.