- End-Users, Company Managers and MSP Partners
- VDA Essentials, VDA Essentials Hybrid, VDA LocalZone, VDA Hybrid LZ, Workplace Select and Workplace Stronghold
Using Workplace allows you to launch your files, apps, and websites all from one secure platform. Depending on your company's configuration, you will work in one of the following environments, and access to your apps and data will be determined by the company's Device Compliance Policy.
- Work Environment
- Device Compliance Policy
On your computer, you are accustomed to using installed software programs, such as Microsoft Office, Quickbooks, and Acrobat, as well as programs native to your operating system like Safari, Edge, or Internet Explorer. Using local apps is the most efficient way to work, but it can be the least secure. While using Workplace in a local environment, if your device goes out of compliance, you will be logged out and unable to log back in until you have remediated the device (Strict Mode).
Your company might want additional security for certain or all apps you work with and will require you to use Hosted applications instead of locally-installed applications. You know you're using a hosted app when you see a gray cloud attached to your apps in Workplace.
Workplace uses a solution called Citrix XenApp to launch the Citrix Receiver - a secure gateway through which your hosted applications appear on your Windows or Mac. When you launch an app or file, it will automatically open the Citrix Receiver, and then the application. They'll look like they're running locally when they're actually running securely in the cloud. We do this because running programs in the remote datacenter can offer premium encryption, virus protection, and other compliance standards that keep your company's data safe.
NOTE: In order to use Hosted Applications, you must have a stable internet connection or you might experience a sluggish response or interrupted service.
When you launch a file, app, or website from your Workplace access client in LocalZone™, you can work with local apps because they are contained within a secure perimeter, which is indicated by the blue border and badge. Using LocalZone™ allows you to keep your work and personal data separate on the same device. Click here to learn more about LocalZone™.
The Hybrid environment is a combination of Local or LocalZone™ and Hosted. When your company opts for a hybrid environment, you can work with your local applications as long as your device remains compliant. Some files, applications and websites might be set to hosted only, for greater security.
If your company policy is set to Balanced Mode and your device goes out of compliance, your files, applications and websites will open in a hosted environment. This allows you to continue working until you can fix your compliance issue.
Device Compliance Policy
- Pass checks: When the Strict Policy is enforced, you will only be able to perform business functions when your device passes all compliance checks.
- Fail checks:
- When you are already signed into Workplace and your device goes out of compliance, a 3-minute warning popup window will appear, giving you time to fix the issue. You will not be able to launch any additional apps during this time.
- If you are just signing in and your device does not pass all compliance checks, you can't access Workplace.
Balanced Mode (Hybrid only)
Your company may choose a Balanced policy:
- Pass checks: If your device passes all checks, you can continue to onboard and have full access to Workplace.
- Fail checks: If the device fails any required checks, you can still complete the onboarding process, but will be allowed limited access to Workplace:
- Local file syncing will be turned off and files will not be available locally.
- The Workplace (S:) drive will be unlinked.
- Clicking the File Manager shortcut (Folder icon/ Windows or Hard drive icon/ Mac) in the desktop app will launch the Workplace (S:) drive in a hosted Windows File Manager.
- You can edit files in a hosted app only.
- Local apps not supported in the hosted environment cannot be launched.
Note: Some websites can only be accessed in a hosted browser, per your company's policy.